Watchcaps and Ditty Bags
Build a Ditty Bag
Around Thanksgiving of every year, we give every seafarer a ditty bag which includes many personal hygiene items, a Christian tract, and watch cap. We appreciate your willingness to donated items, sew ditty bags, or knit crown caps. Your gift will be a tangible expression of the love of Jesus Christ. For many, this will be the only gift they will receive. As you work on this project please pray for the seafarers and those who work at Anchor House. It is only through prayer support that others will be able to find Jesus Christ as the only anchor for their soul which is firm and secure (Hebrews 6:19)
We try to include about 10 of the following suggested items in each bag: shampoo/conditioner, disposable razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, lip balm, tissue packets, fingernail clippers, emery boards, bar soap, deodorant, aftershave, hand lotion, white tube socks, gloves, note pads, pens, pencils. (Sample sizes of personal items are extremely good and some items can be purchased at Wal-Mart for less than $1 each.) Cash donations are also welcome.
To sew ditty bag:
- Cut 2 – 14 inch squares. (use heavy duty material, if possible)
- With right sides together
- Sew one side and bottom with ¼ inch seam
- The second side sew ¼ inch seam to within 2 ½ inches from top.
- Reinforce seams
- Fold top over 2 ½ inches – fold bottom edge of seam under ¼ inch and sew around bag.
- Sew around top of bag. (Leaving a seam that you can put a draw string through).
- Insert a single 25 inch draw string in the top.
- Knot string to secure
Finished product should be approximately 12 X 12
Knit a Watch Cap
Crochet a Watch Cap